I'm an anxiety and trauma coach, advanced EFT practitioner, very sporadic birth doula, mum of four wonderful boys and I'm on a mission to help women at all stages of motherhood to feel calm, happy and like themselves again
Here’s a few things you might like to know about me:
- I ****LOVE**** supporting Mums and Dads – whether one to one or through groups and programmes – I can spend hours and hours and hours chatting about motherhood, parenthood, birth and lots more. I am probably a teeny tiny bit obsessed.
- If you had told me 12 years ago when I became a mum I’d be supporting parents as a coach, I would not have believed you – never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d be doing (and loving) what I’m doing now.
- I have birth and wisewoman support in my blood – my great Nonna was the local wisewomen in the village in Italy and as such helped many of the women there to give birth and parent their babies.
- I trained as a doula/postnatal carer in 2013 as I really struggled with my own transition to being a parent – every time I looked to get help I could find what I needed or wanted to support me to be the positive, relaxed and gentle parent I wanted to be and to let me find my own way.
- I became interested in EFT in 2014 and started tapping on myself about all sorts of issues… in 2015, I finally did my training and am now pleased to be integrating EFT into my work and in 2021 became an accredited advanced EFT practitioner through EFT International.
- In 2016 I decided to do further training to support parents who had experienced birth or perinatal trauma and am now delighted to be training and supervising others as part of Traumatic Birth Recovery
- I have twins who are 12, a 10 year old and a three year old – all boys, all crazy, and all the centre of my world. We’ve recently welcomed a new puppy into our world.
- In my spare time you’ll find me walking or swimming on Scottish beaches.
- The thing I’ve found hardest about being a mum is the lack of silence.
- I believe as women we owe it to our kids and future generations to break down societal structures that make us feel being a martyr to motherhood is ok because it’s not and we deserve to feel fulfilled and happy.
I’ve been working closely with parents since 2009, voluntarily to begin with then privately from 2014.
In 2015, I co-founded Juno Perinatal Mental Health Support supporting mums with perinatal mental health.
I have been a member of the Maternity Services Liaison Committee for NHS Lothian, a Change Agent for Maternal Mental Health Scotland, a service user for the Managed Clinical Network for Perinatal Mental Health.
I was honoured in June and December 2016 to be invited to both the House of Lords and House of Commons as a Perinatal Mental Health Campaigner.
In my (very) spare time, I blog on my thoughts around motherhood, mental health, birth – something I’m so passionate about as I believe that the importance of this transition into parenthood is under estimated (including my own first hand experience and as those I’ve worked with).
We really don’t understand the importance of looking after ourselves physically, emotionally and mentally as mothers and women and accessing the right kind of support.
We are also in a time of change socially and culturally – living away from our traditional support networks but being surrounded by social media and the age of information that it can be hard to work out how we want to parent through the “noise”.
As well as being obsessed with motherhood and women generally, I have invested heavily in training and qualifications over the years to deepen my knowledge and skills.
I really do live, breathe and sleep my work….
QUALIFICATIONS / TRAINING
- Advanced EFT Practitioner accredited with EFT International (January 2021)
- Tapping out of Trauma 1.0 (with Craig Weiner and Suzanne Fageol)
- Solutions Focussed Brief Therapy (April 2019 with Elliot Connie)
- Level 3 EFT Training (March and June 2019)
- Make Birth Better Training (April 2019)
- Advanced Doula Training (April 2018)
- Art Therapy for Birth Trauma (November 2017)
- Doula UK Recognition (April 2017)
- Post-dates pregnancy with Sara Wickham (March 2017)
- Shiatsu for Birth Practitioners with Lucy Trend (February 2017)
- Traumatic Birth Recovery – 3 Step REWIND Technique (November 2016)
- Safe Sleep Workshop with Helen Ball from Infant Sleep Information Source, Durham University (November 2016)
- Pregnancy loss and the death of a baby: Sands training for doulas Sands Lothians (April 2016)
- EFT Practitioner (May 2016)
- EFT Level 1 (September 2015)
- EFT Level 2 (November 2015)
- Doula – course completed (October 2014)
- Postnatal Carer (NEST Postnatal Care/Maternity Nursing qualification (Level 3 from the Open College Network in November 2013)
- Breastfeeding Counsellor – Infant Feeding qualification from Mother and Baby International (June 2014)
- Breastfeeding for Lay Supporters (October 2014)
- Infant Mental Health and Development – Butterfly Baby Clinic (November 2014)
- Wombspace (gaining understanding of womb health) – Bushra Finch (February 2015)
- Perinatal Mental Health Awareness Training (February 2015)
- Motherwarming – postnatal support (May 2015)
- Mental Health First Aid (May 2015)
- Loving the Multiples – twin related doula course (September 2015)
- First aid certificate for Babies and Children with St Andrew’s first aid (completed December 2013)
- Trainer for Traumatic Birth Recovery – 3 Step REWIND Technique 2019 – current
- Doula UK rep for Scotland East and West since 2016-2018
- Juno Perinatal Mental Health Support in Edinburgh – establish peer support for parents with perinatal mental health illness (since April 2014), running a weekly group, Vice-Chair since March 2015
- Founding member of Edinburgh Birth and Baby
- Member of NHS Lothian Maternity Services Liaison Committee(2013 – 2020)
- Edinburgh and Lothians Twins and Multiples Club (ELTMC) (2009-2013) – various positions including Chairperson from 2012-2013
- ELTMC – the establishment and facilitation of the twins/multiples antenatal class (successfully running since November 2011)
- ELTMC – hosting support groups for families with twins/multiples discussing topics such as weaning, travelling with babies, returning to work, feeding, equipment, children’s health and more
- ELTMC – peer-support for new mothers trying to breastfeed their twins (since January 2012)
- ELTMC – running weekly feeding group for multiples to support twin/triplet mums to feed and to discuss all types of feeding from breast, combination feeding and bottle (since March 2014)
- Member of EFT International
- Traumatic Birth Recovery Practitioner and Trainer
- Registered with the PVG scheme in Scotland
- Fully insured through Balens
Prior to being self-employed, I gained a degree in Computing in 2003. I worked as an Information Manager in NHS Lothian, Research Coordinator in Queen Margaret University and latterly I worked as a Development Officer for the Mason Institute at the University of Edinburgh which focused on medical ethics. I worked within many teams to gain funding through proposal development. Whilst I’ve had a successful career and loved working, I changed career to follow my passion – that is parents and babies following the substantial voluntary work I have undertaken since 2009.